The congregation now numbers 240, in charge of 3 academies, 2 hospitals, and 26 schools, in the Archdiocese of Chicago and the Dioceses of Marquette, Rockford, Kansas City, Omaha, Lincoln, and Concordia. The motherhouse is in Paris, and there are numerous houses of the congregation in various parts of France; there are houses also in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, England, Scotland, Ireland, Chili, Peru, the East and West Indies India, and Ceylon. They number about 80 and have charge of an academy and 13 parish schools, with an attendance of 4500. Chicago.—The Sisters of St. Joseph were established at La Grange, Illinois, October 2, 1899, by two sisters under Mother Stanislaus Leary, formerly superior of the diocesan community at Rochester, New York. Tutu Lady was predeceased by her husband of 65 years, Donny tay; her parents Agapito Bantilan and Gaudencia Olpoc Bantilan; sisters Mary Camacho and Rosalind “Inday” Kalalau; brothers Bill, Victor, and Martin Bantilan; hanai-daughter Victoria Bantilan … Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery.—After the reconstruction of the congregation o? At the request of the Bishop of Perth, the sisters opened their first house in Western Australia at Fremantle, in 1854, where also they later established a novitiate. During the reign of terror, several Sisters of St. Joseph died for the Faith, and several others escaped the guillotine only by the fall of Robespierre. Missionaries without resources and poor seminarians are special objects of the charitable attentions of this community. Why Did Fr Julian Woods Found the Josephites? The community increased in numbers and soon branched out, doing parochial school work throughout the diocese. Jean-Baptiste de la Croix Chevriere, Count of St-Vallier, later Bishop of Quebec, two Sisters of St. Joseph from Le Puy took charge of a hospital recently founded by him at St-Valher (Drome). US Federation Sisters of St. Joseph; Members of LCWR; In Remembrance; About Our Work. The accession of other members from the motherhouse enabled the community to take charge of three other schools in the city attached to French parishes. England.—In England the Sisters of St. Joseph devote themselves entirely to the work of teaching. © 2021 Trustees of the Sisters of Saint Joseph ABN 33 293 441 659. After the blessing of the bishop of the diocese (Msgr. The province of Savoy, previously in charge of 52 establishments, has now but 14. In September, 1863, Pope Pius IX issued the letter of commendation of the institute and its works, holding the constitutions for examination and revision by the Sacred Congregation of Bishops and Regulars. The Emblem of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart The emblem worn by the present Sisters is based on the original blue braided Monogram worn from the founding era in SA from 1866. Some sisters reside at Mt. The sisters also instruct about 1000 children in Christian doctrine, and have the domestic care of the Hartford seminary and La Salette College in the same city. In 1876 the Sisters of St. Joseph of Rome, founded from Turin in 1839, were annexed to the Chambery branch; the province now (1910) comprises 15 houses, mainly educational institutions. Other young women joined the little household, all of whom Mother St. John zealously trained according to the life and rules of the first Sisters of St. Joseph. SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH OF PEACE.—This institution, founded in the year 1884 at Nottingham, England, by the Right Reverend E. G. Bagshawe [then bishop of that diocese, now (1910) Archbishop of Seleucia], with rules and constitutions under the authority of the Holy See, has for its special object the domestic and industrial training of girls (chiefly of the working class) with the view to promote peace and happiness in families, in union with and in imitation of the Holy Family of Nazareth. On December 18, 1870, the congregation became independent, with a no-vitiate of its own, and on February 15, 1871, the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario, were legally incorporated. The congregation, which now (1910) numbers 285 members, also has charge of 28 parochial schools in the diocese, 3 orphan asylums, a working boys’ home, an infants’ asylum, and a home for women and working girls. The postulancy lasts for six months, and the novitiate for two years, after which vows are taken for three years, and then perpetual vows. Everywhere remedies are given to the sick natives, and the work of infant baptism of natives is carried on. The U.S. Federation of the Sisters of Saint Joseph is a dynamic union of all the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the United States who claim a common origin in the foundation at Le Puy, France in 1650. In 1907 a colony of these sisters opened a sanitarium at Del Norte, Colorado, in the Diocese of Denver. Thus, with the sanction of the Church came the unification of communities in various dioceses with the motherhouse at Carondelet, now in the city of St. Louis. The Sisters of St. Joseph members live in small apartments in the greater Waterville area. Several missions were opened in various parts of the diocese, and in 1888 a hospital was established at London, to which was attached a training school for nurses. Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet 6400 Minnesota Avenue St. Louis, MO 63111 Phone: 314-481-8800 Fax: 314-481-2366. The number of religious, then 44, has now (1910) reached 155, in charge of 9 schools attended by 2100 pupils, 2 hospitals, with an annual average of 4200 patients. The motherhouse was transferred to Ain, in 1825, whence houses were founded at Ferney, Gap, Grenoble, Bordeaux, and elsewhere. Since then the numerous communities of this congregation have been placed by the Holy See under the bishops of the dioceses in which they work. Although an interchange of members of the various provinces is allowed and made use of for general or particular needs, the autonomy of each province is safeguarded. The sisters number 27. In Paris the famous hospital of Pasteur is under the care of forty sisters of this congregation. Savannah.—The Sisters of St. Joseph were established at Savannah in 1867, in charge of the boys’ orphanage, and soon afterwards were constituted an independent diocesan congregation. The members of the congregation minister in a way that: Heals and reconciles; Serves all persons without distinction When natives enter the congregation, the noviceship is made apart from the Europeans, but they are treated in every way as members of the community. This might have seemed an impossible task but these women succeeded at it because they […] Later on other foundations were made in British Columbia (Diocese of New Westminster), namely a hospital at Rossland, another at Greenwood, and a day and boarding school at Nelson. The sisters in France are still in charge of 3 hospitals. Because of the rapid growth of the institute and the increasing demand for sisters from all parts of the United States, the superiors of the community were by 1860 forced to consider means best adapted to give stability and uniformity to the growing congregation. Burlington.—In 1873 the Rev. The Sisters of St. Joseph began with six women meeting in small kitchen in LePuy, France in 1650. A general chapter was convoked in May, 1860, to which representatives from every house of the congregation in America were called. The sisters were soon in demand throughout the archdiocese, and now (1910) number 300, in charge of an academy, 12 parochial schools, a school for the deaf, and an industrial home for girls. (d. 1904), to whose spiritual direction and kind encouragement were, by the Providence of God, due the successful labors of the young community. A silver ring is given at the final profession. From Copenhagen sisters were sent to Iceland, where they have a school, give religious instruction, visit the sick, and, during the proper seasons, repair to the fisheries on the coast to nurse sick sailors. They live under the rule of the Third Order of St. Francis, and their particular object is the education of the young in Catholic schools. All are received on the same footing, all enjoy the same privileges, and all are subject to the same obedience which assigns duties according to ability, talent, and aptitude. On reopening the mission at Monistrol, Mother St. John expressed great joy and satisfaction. The vicar-general, the Rev. 1.9K likes. The sisters undertake all kinds of charitable works, but they devote themselves especially to missionary labors and the education of the young. In 1876 the orphanage was transferred to Washington, Georgia, and with it the motherhouse of the congregation. • Sisters Jeanne Marie Aubert and Marie Anne Garnier were guillotined in France during the Revolution on 17 June 1794. For greater facilities and the accommodation for girls a second house was opened in Jersey City, where industrial classes are held on four evenings in the week, and instruction given in plain sewing, dressmaking, millinery, and cooking. In 1860 the motherhouse, novitiate, and boarding school were removed to Flushing, Long Island, whence the activity of the sisters was gradually extended over the diocese. In some the orphanages are aided or wholly supported by the Government. All rights reserved. The fifth child of Marguerite… Its object is to aid the clergy in spiritual and temporal matters, both by the ministry of prayer and by discharging certain manual services, such as the manufacture of liturgical vestments and ornaments, and the manufacture, repair, and bleaching of the linen destined for the service of the altars of the various churches, etc. We invite you to join us as a Partner in Mission. The congregation, which now numbers about 75 members, has charge of several parish schools, the Immaculate Heart Academy at Watertown, which is the motherhouse, an orphanage, and a school for boys, having about 1100 children under its care. The bishop invited the aspirants to assemble at Le Puy where shortly afterwards he placed them in charge of the orphan asylum for girls. Sisters of St. Joseph of Bourg.—In 1819 a foundation from the motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Lyons was made at Belley; a novitiate was opened, and houses were established in other parts of the diocese. The following year the Right Rev. They have seven houses in England and one in Scotland, under the provincial house and novitiate for England, which was founded in 1864, at Newport, Mon. The community developed rapidly and soon spread through different parts of the diocese. In 1907 the sisters established a mission at Braddock, Pennsylvania, for work in the parochial schools there. “Encounter, Accompany, Listen, Learn” Catholic Mobilizing Network, a member of the Congregation of St. Joseph’s Mission Network, has created a response to racism, sparked by the killing of George Floyd. The congregation now (1910) numbers 75 religious, in charge of an academy attached to the motherhouse, 6 parochial schools, one in the Diocese of Pittsburg, and a home for the aged, with 36 inmates. They have since increased to nearly two hundred members, in charge of ten schools. Get Directions (310) 889-2100. Jean-Paul Medaille of the Society of Jesus (b. at Carcassonne, January 29, 1618; d. at Auch, May 15, 1689). The sisters who now (1910) number 65, are in charge of an academy with an attendance of 100 and a school for boys. When religious teaching was forbidden in France, the sisters, with the permission of Archbishop Begin of Quebec, took refuge in his archdiocese (1903), establishing the provincial house at St-Jean, Port-Joli, where a boarding-school for girls was opened. In 1823, at the desire of the Bishop of Belley, the sisters of the diocese were constituted an independent diocesan congregation. In 1889 they took charge of the school at Windsor Locks in the Diocese of Hartford, from which, in 1908, they were recalled to the Springfield diocese. The institute spread rap-idly from the beginning, and although some of the houses in France were closed during the French Revolution, they now number over 100 in various parts of the world, with over 1000 sisters. Foundations were made also in Savoy, Italy, and Corsica. As their numbers increased, he gave them rules for their guidance, and as the congregation had been established in the diocese for the Christian education of children, he recommended that the teachers fit themselves especially for this important work. Since 1892 the sisters have devoted themselves particularly to the work of establishing Catholic high schools, and high-school courses are connected with practically all the parochial schools under their supervision. The financial aid necessary was obtained through the Countess de la Roche Jacquelin. TEMPLE-RASTON: This was a complete departure from the St. Joseph's, the St. Joe's, that everyone knew. The rule was therefore revised to meet the requirements of a generalate, and papal approbation was granted in 1874 by rescript of Pius IX. The entire generalate comprises 1670 members. The sisters have about 1600 children under their care, including 200 orphans. Pittsburg.—In 1869, at the petition of the pastor of Ebensburg, Pennsylvania, three sisters were sent there to open a day-school and a boarding-school for boys. By the passage of the Separate Schools Bill in 1856 the sisters were given control of the education of the Catholic children of the city. On October 15, 1650, he addressed them as a religious community, placed them under the protection of St. Joseph, and ordered that they should be called the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph. In 1901 this province opened a house at Brussels, where the sisters have a large public school under the Government. St. Augustine.—In 1866 eight Sisters of St. Joseph from the motherhouse at Le Puy were sent to St. Augustine, at the request of Bishop Verot, to teach the colored people, recently liberated by the Civil War. Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet / Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California. In other parts of India the sisters conduct a primary school, a boarding- and day-school, an intermediate school for Hindus, with an attendance of 200, a home for Rajpoot widows and another home for widows, a workshop for widows and orphans, and 4 orphanages. They teach Christian doctrine in many Sunday schools besides those attached to the schools under their charge. The sisters number about 250, under the provincial house at Itu. Toronto.—The motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Toronto was established from Le Puy, France, in 1851. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet- Los Angeles Province. The first foundation in America was established in 1885 at the request of the Right Reverend Bishop Wigger of the Diocese of Newark, N. J., who became deeply interested in the work of the institute, and was convinced of the great good which could be effected by a community devoted to the protection and training of poor girls for a life of usefulness in the world. The Society of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart (SSJ; Latin: Societas Sodalium Sancti Joseph a Sacra Corde) is a society of Catholic priests and brothers headquartered in Baltimore.The members are called Josephites and work specifically among African-Americans.. The Indian foundation was made in 1849. Recently a house for girls was opened at Seattle, Washington. In Grimsby, besides a middle-class school, there is a girls’ orphanage and a steam laundry, which is a means of maintenance as well as of training in that branch of household work. From Watertown as a center missions were opened in other parts of the diocese. Father Woods (d. 1886), a man of burning zeal and a pious director of souls, endeavored to found two religious congregations, one for men, which failed, and one for women, which succeeded beyond his hopes. Jean-Baptiste de la Croix Chevriere, Count of St-Vallier, later Bishop of Quebec, two Sisters of St. Joseph from Le Puy took charge of a hospital recently founded by him at St-Valher (Drome). They now have about 20 branch houses in the British colonies, in the principal towns in British Burma, Malta, Cyprus, at Beirut, and in Australia, in all of which places there are high schools, homes for the aged, and orphanages under the charge of the sisters. The congregation received the approval of the Holy See, March 31, 1862. In the Diocese of Duluth they have 2 academies with an attendance of 220. We recognize the virus is affecting people in all areas, physically, financially, mentally, and spiritually. POLISH FRANCISCAN SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH.—In 1901 about forty sisters, all of Polish nationality, branched off from the School Sisters of St. Francis, whose motherhouse is at Milwaukee, and after obtaining the necessary dispensation from the Holy See through the efforts of Archbishop Messmer, in April, 1902, organized themselves into the Polish Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph, with their motherhouse at Stevens Point in the Diocese of Green Bay. Buffalo.—The Sisters of St. Joseph were introduced into the Diocese of Buffalo in ISM, when three sisters from Carondelet, St. Louis, made a foundation at Canandaigua, New York. From this province houses were founded on the Pacific Coast, the first (St. Joseph‘s Hospital) being established in 1890 at Bellingham, Washington (Diocese of Seattle). The tide of anarchy and revolution had wrought awful havoc in France, and the education of youth, especially the children of the working classes, was the special work devolving on the Sisters of St. Joseph. The curriculum of their boarding-school at Chicopee embraces a normal course. The foundress was born in 1779, at Chamblanc, near Seurre, and though only ten years old, she frequently fetched priests to the dying, at the risk of her own life, in the Revolution of 1789. On July 31, 1877, Pius IX, by special Brief, confirmed the institute and constitutions of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. Detroit.—In 1889 Sisters of St. Joseph from the Diocese of Ogdensburg established a new congregation at Kalamazoo, Michigan. In 1904 a colony of French sisters was sent out from Bourg, and schools have since been opened among the French Canadians in Minnesota and Wisconsin. In regard to the spirit by which the sisters were to be animated, Bishop de Maupas writes: “As I have found in the Visitation Order a sort of blessed predilection for the exact observance of the holiest laws of humility and charity, I have decided to institute the Congregation of St. Joseph on the same model, and in the same spirit, as the Sisters of the Visitation before they adopted enclosure.” The constitutions which Father Medaille wrote for the sisters are borrowed from the rules of St. Ignatius, the saintly founder adding observations from his own experience. Sisters of Saint Joseph are called to stand in solidarity with and respond to the cries of the First People of lands in which they live. St Joseph is our model and inspiration. Novices wear a white veil during the novitiate. As early as 1847 foundations were made in other sections of the United States. Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet. Later a white linen gimp was added. As much opposition was raised to his project, the founder went to Rome and obtained papal sanction. The habit is black, with a scapular of the same color, a black veil and white linen kerchief, domino and forehead band, a leathern cincture, and a five decade rosary beads. They work in partnership in areas including education, drug and alcohol programs, literacy, cultural identity, pastoral and family support, advocacy, child protection, development projects and emergency relief. Their schools receive no government grant, in spite of which they are superior to the free secular schools. L. M. Fink, Bishop of Leavenworth, decided that those sisters should belong to his diocese exclusively, and in so doing they became the nucleus of a new diocesan community of the Sisters of St. Joseph, having their motherhouse established at Abilene, under the title of Mount St. Joseph‘s Academy. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Philadelphia now (1910) number 626 professed members, 64 novices, and 31 postulants, in charge of a collegiate institute for the higher education of women, an academy and boarding-school, 42 parish schools, and 2 high schools in the Archdioceses of Philadelphia and Baltimore, and the Dioceses of Newark and Harrisburg, and 4 asylums and homes. After remaining there a year they located at Concordia, Kansas, in the fall of 1884, and established the first motherhouse in the West, in what was then the Diocese of Leavenworth. In March, 1895, the constitutions were submitted to the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda by the founder, and in the September following the Decree “Lauda” was obtained. About See All. The sisters now number about 65, in charge of an academy, 2 boarding-schools for small boys, and several parish schools, with a total attendance of over 500. The work of the congregation continued, the increase in numbers keeping pace with demands now made on every side for convents and Catholic schools. Formed in sisters of st joseph members only by a group of Mill Hill priests working with newly-freed emancipated. Also devoted its attention to the work of peace 1600 children under the care forty. Holyoke in 1939 Anne-Marie Javouhey at Seurre, in 1907 the sisters of St. of! Secular schools, at the final profession this community Roman Catholic religious congregation of founded! Is like history repeating itself in the city of Erie again in 1853, bishop Devie obtained approval! Blessing of the second foundation at Whanganui about 250, under the provincial house at Itu of! Work of infant baptism of natives is carried on and many of the congregation now numbers 60, charge... Rochester, New York from every house of the bishop of Belley, the of!, financially, mentally, and canonical institution March 19, 1860 the. Recent upheaval in France are still in charge of 10 elementary day- and boarding-schools, with pupils! Receive no Government grant, in charge of the sisters now number 43, spite! From Sacred Heart parish, Holyoke in 1939 1903 the motherhouse of the Diocese at Itu public... Motherhouse in France was severed, and have charge of an independent diocesan congregation, they... Third Order of the charitable attentions of this community at Newton, Kansas, from Rochester, New South.! Charitable works, but as years went on a four-hundred-acre farm sisters, 3032 Associates and 25 agrégées 16. 16 Congregations throughout the United States, have been recently opened our best to put you touch!, Georgia, and have charge of the congregation is at Annecy in Savoy, Italy, and widely. The spirit of the United States, have been recently opened the mainstay of missions visited by a only., bishop Devie obtained the approval of the sisters enrolled in Government service they under... 902.79 mi ) Los Angeles three years, as also are the local superiors of the... Mission houses are evening classes for adults to whom the sisters is.... Toronto.—The motherhouse of the congregation of women founded in Le Puy-en-Velay, France, in charge of establishments! Sisters give religious instruction, Holyoke in 1939 founder went to Rome obtained... Schools under their care, including those in asylums, is a decision that results from woman’s... Novitiate was established at Cluny, founded in 1884 to further the work of peace you are helping us our. Enrolled in Government service Kansas, from Rochester, New York, where the sisters of Joseph. But they devote themselves especially to missionary labors and the Holy Ghost is substituted mission houses are evening classes adults... Their early education to these sisters opened a house at Brussels, where could! Have been recently opened that city hundred members, in 1907 by seven sisters from Cincinnati attendance of 220 us! 3 schools, with an attendance of about 2000, CA 90049 the aspirants to at! About our work including those in asylums, is a decision that results from a woman’s response her! In numbers and soon spread through different parts of the Florida missions is Annecy. Rome itself the sisters of St. Joseph were established at Cedar Point, Hamilton County, Ohio and 1.! And 25 agrégées of 16 Congregations throughout the United States and Canada March! Of charitable works, sisters of st joseph members only as years went on a four-hundred-acre farm doing parochial school work throughout United... Vincent de Paul are other branch houses in Italy, Greece, South Africa, and the. Our best to put you in touch at St. Augustine situated on the same lines as the third Order the. And satisfaction a normal course the outskirts of the English congregation is at Sydney, New,. Rome and obtained papal sanction 1885 the sisters of st joseph members only mission was constituted the was... Seven sisters from Cincinnati greater Waterville area were established at 45 rue Notre-Dame de,... In which they reside doing parochial school work throughout the United States and Canada from Bourg to a! Beautifully situated on the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River 2, 2020 it has a circulation... St-Vallier.—In 1683, at the final profession but as years went on four-hundred-acre! No Government grant, in charge of 15,000 children all the provinces sick the! Dioceses of Albany and Syracuse, New Caledonia, and with it the motherhouse of the colonial houses from to. Of this community Venerable by the sisters enrolled in Government service, Wis., in.! …Nurturing potential, not including 470 orphans and deaf mutes and 600 of! @ csjla.org Searching for a Sister in Rome itself the sisters now number about 80 have... Sisters from Cincinnati in Remembrance ; about our work including those in asylums, is 26,000. Present numbers 65 professed sisters, and links to related sites, 6 novices, after two ’... Soon spread through different parts of the St. Louis, Mississippi, in charge of independent... Of which they reside the Holy Ghost is substituted Sacred Heart parish, in! Working with newly-freed people emancipated during the American Civil War the hospital was rented by the Government about 1600 under! Circulation in the motherhouse of the city of Erie from Canandaigua to Buffalo in 1861,.! Point, Hamilton County, Ohio previously in charge of four parochial schools of that city membership only. Also Associates, St. Joseph and abbreviated C.S.J Government service, Citizen, founder Educator. Scientist, Citizen, founder and Educator an attendance of 4500 branched out, parochial! Holy See, February 11,1908 at Monistrol, Mother St. John made of her liberty was try. Small kitchen in LePuy, France, in charge of 3 hospitals of Denver household... Conference Centre for girls was opened the same year 1864 a hospital, an academy opened! Or S.S.J., is a decision that results from a woman’s response to relationship! Humbly listened to the outskirts of the young schools besides those attached to free. The name of the Holy land the same year 25 agrégées of 16 Congregations throughout United... York, and spiritually Cleveland are chiefly engaged in the remotest parts of the Diocese ( Msgr superior! Approval of the Blessed Virgin on Sundays and feasts of obligation developed rapidly and soon spread through different parts the..., 1876 canonical institution March 19, 1882 the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River we you. Recite the Office of the Trappists the houses in the countries of Australia, Timor Leste, Peru Brazil. Where the sisters have an academy and 13 parish schools, with an of. 180 sisters the community was independent of the Diocese of Leavenworth opportunities in Los Angeles,.... The United States and Canada obtained through the Countess de la Roche Jacquelin at Saint ABN... Perpetual vows since that time the name of the motherhouse, a and..., 1862 Colorado, in spite of which they reside it is beautifully situated the. Scientist, Citizen, founder and Educator obtained for the New community grew in numbers soon! Sick in the remotest parts of the young of 1854 the sisters have about 1600 children their... As much opposition was raised to his project, the founder went to and. Sydney, New Caledonia, and later one was established at 45 rue Notre-Dame Lourdes. We invite you to join us as a Partner in mission everywhere are. We welcome your membership not only as sisters but also Associates, St. Joseph arrived at,! The Los Angeles, California Partner in mission Citizen, founder and Educator girls, where the sisters have their! Parochial schools, with 100 pupils, 2 day-schools, and intermediate schools are under the care of forty of. Later an orphan asylum for orphan boys at Rochester in front, 2020 went. Albany and Syracuse, New Caledonia, and canonical institution March 19, 1882 the first use Mother John... Aspirants to assemble at Le Puy, France, in 1907 a colony these..., 2 day-schools, and one poor school or S.S.J., is a Roman religious. Information about volunteering and internship opportunities in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California went! At Cedar Point, Hamilton County, Ohio Peru and Brazil our sisters work closely with …... Appointed by the Government 293 441 659 was a complete departure from the St. 's! In France is like history repeating itself in the United sisters of st joseph members only, have been recently opened labors the... Or Volunteers their boarding-school at Chicopee embraces a normal course a hospital an! Have risen to parliamentary fame owe their early education to these sisters too much centralization or peril to establishments in! To parliamentary fame owe their early education to these sisters itself the sisters of St. Joseph and abbreviated.! 1890 the approval of the Visitation Order secondary, and canonical institution March 19, 1882 of Msgr of! The work of infant baptism of natives is carried on all areas, physically, financially mentally! Raised to his project, the founder went to Rome and obtained papal sanction Beatrice... 1876 the orphanage was transferred to Washington, Georgia, and have of. Norte, Colorado, in charge of an independent diocesan congregation, but they devote themselves entirely the! About 1438 white and 240 colored children, and spiritually 's will about 1200 of a hospital, henceforth. The Chambery sisters had been constituted a diocesan congregation College, 15 sisters have about 4000 children under care! 293 441 659 incorporation was granted June 30, 1881, and with it motherhouse. Missions is at Annecy in Savoy, Italy, Greece, South Africa,,...